Thursday, July 14, 2011

Holy Blood Pressure Batman!

Yes I'm being sarcastic. I feel like I can't catch a break lately. So at my last appointment my blood pressure was slightly higher then normal. Well then yesterday I wake up with a killer headache, go to work and the headache is no better. Well something told me to check my blood pressure ( one of the cool things about working in a hospital). So I check it and its very high for me ( 151/76) I'm like ok crap, thats not good. So I try calling the on call dr, and that turns into a 2 hour game of phone tag.

Finally 9am rolls around, and 2 more crappy blood pressures later I get in touch with someone. I had a bad feeling that I would have to leave work to go get checked out, and sure enough I was right. I was originally told to just come to the office to get checked out quickly, then I could return to work. Well right before I left I recieved a phone call from my doc saying " go straight to L&D" ( do not pass go, do not collect $200 ).

So Tim picks me up and off to L&D I go. This of course was the first time I had ever been to the L&D as a patient and it complete freaked me out. Women screaming down the hallway, weird tools and machines everywhere... Yeah I didn't like it at all. So I get hooked up to some monitors, have labs drawn, check my BP and its still elevated.

Saw the nurse practictioner for all of 5 seconds, long enough for her to ask me what is going on.  A little while later the MD came in and said labs look great, bp is still elevated, but stable, and they are sending me home. Basically it is a mixture of stress, severe swelling, and good ole fashion bad luck that is causing this and I'll need to be closely monitored for the rest of my pregnancy to make sure its not elevating again/anymore. 

So yep thats how things are going in Shannon Land.  Luckily no bed rest yet, but she did say that if my bp gets too out of control then its a strong possibility. Oh and I have to cut salt out of ( or atleast back significantly) my diet. Yeah not happy about that one because I love salt, but Ethan is worth it, so I'll just have to make do.

So there really isn't anything that I can do about the bad luck part of this equation, but I'm wrapping my legs with compression devices to help with my swelling, and as for the stress... there isn't much that can be done about that either. I just need to learn that you can't change peoples actions, but you can change your reaction to them. Words to live by obi wan........ Woooo saaaaa ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So tell me what you really think.......

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...