Tuesday, August 9, 2011

How to get rid of the weight?

That is seriously one of the only questions I have yet to be able to get an answer to. I know I of course need to wait until after Ethan is born, and to be cleared by the doctor ( which will hopefully be sooner rather then later), but then what??  I guess I'm just worried and frustrated because I was plus size to begin with and had been doing really well up until I got pregnant to lose weight, but now I'm back to where I was before I started dieting and then some. 30 lbs heavier then I was before I started dieting last summer to be exact... Needless to say I have a long way to go before I ever get close to my weight loss goal again. I would love to try what I was doing before, but after some research have realized that may not work for me. 

Last summer i switched my whole diet to low carb, not just a " hey I'm going thru a phase low carb" but living, breathing, and eating low carb, a change that I was willing to do for the long haul. I loved eating low carb, I felt healthy, I felt full of energy, I felt... good. But when I found out I was pregnant the doctor convinced me to give it up for the time being, due to the mixed reviews about how safe it was during pregnancy. Fair enough, anything for Ethan. But now I'm also reading that if I go back to low carb while trying to breast feed ( which I totally plan on doing) that it may not work out as well for a few reasons
1. I won't be able to lose and maintain my weight like before.. for some reason you can't lose a lot of weight because your body is holding onto everything it can for the baby.
2. It could severely reduce my milk supply, which is not something I'm ok with
3. Low carb living makes people less hungry in general, therefor they don't take in as many calories, therefor I won't take in what I need to substain breast feeding.


Me before I started dieting last year


Me after I lost 30 lbs

I want this back, and then some :(


 
Of course this was/ is going to be paired with exercise as soon as I get the go ahead from the doctor. But now I'm worried... now what?  Yes I know I could just " eat healthier" and exercise. I know that, but I loved eating low carb. Don't get me wrong these months of splurging on pasta and ice pops have been awesome, but wow it makes me feel like a fatty mcfatterson eating like that. I'm even afraid to eat a modified low carb( ie fruits and veggies that have lots of carbs, but still cutting out bread and pasta etc).  Trust me this is definitely at the top of my list of things to talk to my OB and the pediatrician about. I want to breast feed, but I want to go back to eating the way I like too.

As far as working out goes I know that will be a challenge with an infant, but I have a bike, and paths near by for Ethan and I to jog on. Mix in a little weight lifting and interval training at home and I think I'm good to go.

I guess for now all I can do is wait and see how this plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So tell me what you really think.......

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...