Sunday, October 16, 2011

Weekly Recipe- Chili Turkey Burgers

So I'm going to try something new. Remember how I've said in previous post that I use to have another blog that I stepped away from because of my pregnancy. Well that blog was basically a weight loss/low carb living blog but since I couldn't do low carb while I was pregnant, the blog became pretty inactive. Well now that Ethans here and I can start trying to lose weight again I've decide to bring back my low carb life style to a certain degree. I can't fully jump back on the low carb train because of its impact on my milk supply but I'm going to start following it very losely to a certain degree.  With that being said I don't have the time, energy or desire to keep up with both blogs, so instead I'm going to post my low carb stuff here too ( lucky you...)  I figure since I have weight loss wed already then posting a weekly recipe isn't that far of a stretch.  So whether you are eating low carb or whether you just want to try out a yummy new recipe keep reading. 

Oh just an FYI. Most people who have never gone low carb think 2 things.
1. its basically torture, that you can't have any of the "good" stuff. -  Trust me this is so far from the truth. I still eat cake, and cookies, and pasta. Just in a different way.
2. Low carb food is gross- This is even farther from the truth. I constantly use my family ( especially my poor husband) as taste testers to see what they think. I don't like cooking 2 seperate meals, so when I do cook low carb it needs to be something everyone would like, low carb or not.

Ok so here we go. Chili Turkey Burgers, courtesy of George Stella's "Livin Low Carb" cookbook




Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12-15
Yield: 10 burgers
Net Carbs- 1gm per serving


Burgers:
2 1/2 pounds ground turkey
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon Quick and Easy Sugar-Free Ketchup, recipe follows
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Garnish:
10 tablespoons mayonnaise
10 red leaf lettuce leaves
10 tomato slices
10 onion slices
10 pickle spears


Make the Burgers: Mix all the ingredients together with your hands, except the oil, in a bowl.
Divide the meat mixture into 10 equal-sized patties.



Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook the burgers, turning once, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 7 minutes per side.(A instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the thickest burger should read at least 165 degrees F.)



Divide the burgers among plates--2 to a plate. Dollop each serving with mayonnaise and stack lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickle on top.


Quick and Easy Sugar-Free Ketchup:
8 ounces no-sugar-added tomato sauce
6 ounces no-sugar-added tomato paste
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups



So a few things I do different.
1. I don't have time to make my own ketchup. Instead I use heinz reduced sugar ketchup. It still only has 1gm carbs per tbsp.
2. I grill these on my george foreman grill instead. It takes 13 minutes and they come out perfect.
3. I don't use mayo, I dip mine in more heinz ketchup. 
The changes don't change the serving size or the amount of carbs, but they make it so much easier and faster to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So tell me what you really think.......

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...