Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Mommy Friend.

Have you ever seen the NBC show "Up All Night"?  Its a guilty pleasure of mine and the latest episode went something like this 

**Spoiler** 
 Mom Reagan, Dad Chris, and daughter Amy go on a weekend get away with the quirky neighbors while moms best friend Ava plans a girls weekend out of town.  Well Reagan leaves the weekend camping trip to check on Ava who she thinks is lying about spending time with her other friends, and believes she is really all alone having a pity party of a vacation.  When Reagan gets to Ava she realizes that Ava was truthful and was having a girls weekend with her other friends and Reagan gets introduced as her "Mommy Friend".

You know, "this is my work friend, my childhood friend, and this is my mommy friend"

Long story short Reagan acts like a fool trying to prove that she is more then just a "mom friend" only to realize that she is content in the end with her new role.

For some reason this really struck a cord with me. Being the Mom friend, and making me realize that I can completely relate to an internal power struggle.

I have struggled in my new role trying to be the old friend Shannon and the new mommy Shannon.  
I use to be the type of person who had dinner multiple nights a week with friends, always had a girls night and hardly ever said " let me check my schedule"

Now my life revolves around a tiny little guy who has me wrapped around his finger.

The people I use to hang out with mostly don't have kids, so they don't really understand the shift in my priorities ( I mean they're not oblivious, but little things still confuse them.) And my mom friends all seem very content in their roles, already figuring out how to find balance.

So that's the question. How do you find balance in your new life while not losing your old life. I mean our children come first, but is there a way to feel like the old ( but slightly modified) you?

I don't think there is a magic answer to this, you have to just wing it and remember that your past is what made you who you are today. Enjoy being the new you but don't forget where you came from.

And if that doesn't work, just remember even moms like to have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So tell me what you really think.......

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...