Friday, July 19, 2013

Isn't that Pintresting





Its back!!! I am trying to get back in the swing of things and that includes posting on here a lot more. One of my favorite weekly post is my Isn't that Pinteresting series.  The only negative is that means I have to actually get off my tail and get the projects done. But luckily I think I will need to keep myself busy while Tim's gone, so whats better then projects right?

So if you read my last post, we are redoing Ethan's room in an airplane theme.  I have been looking for a reason to do a piece of melted crayon art and I decided this was my chance. 

My inspiration- 

I love the idea of having a picture inside the melted crayons. Of course a women walking with an umbrella doesn't exactly work but it did give me some good ideas


Step 1.
Buy lots of crayons. I wanted to use only different shades of blue, grey, and a little white so luckily a friend told me that Toys R Us is having a huge sale on Crayola. they were right. I got 8 boxes for $2 and had just enough crayons for my project ( PS this sale is still going on!!)



Step 2- Go online and find a silhouette of a plane and print it.
 I then decided to cut it out and cover it with duct tape( and also cut the tape to shape) because my original plan was to pull the image up when I was done so I would have a white silhouette surrounded by melted crayon. It was a pain in the butt to cut the duct tape to size, but totally doable with some patience.

Step 3- Hot glue the crayons to the top of the canvas, point down. I just put a few lines of glue horizontally along the canvas and then pressed the crayons on before the glue dried. Easy peasy.


Step 4
Placed my duct tape silhouette where I wanted it and then pressed into place ( I purposefully left a little edge to the tape so it would adhere to the canvas.)

 Step 5
 Next pull out the hair drier and have at it. A few tips I learned. Have the canvas propped up at an angle, and point the drier downward at an angel instead of head on at 90 degrees. Otherwise it causes the crayons to help, but won't help push it down the canvas like you need.
**Word of advise, do this outside and leaning against something protected because it will definitely splatter off the canvas and onto whatever you have behind it.**



Let it dry

And hang

So I originally was planning on peeling my tape plane off, but I ended up love the texture and dimension it gave, so I left it on.  It makes it look like a plane flying right in the middle of the rain. Absolutely perfect.


From start to finish this took about an hour, including cutting the plane out ( the most tedious part) but its such an easy and fun project. There really is no messing this up because anything works. 
So grab your kiddos crayon stash, a hair drier and a little creativity and have fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment

So tell me what you really think.......

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...