Friday, August 30, 2013

Isn't that Pintresting

Oh Toodles! If you don't know where that's from then there is a good chance that either A. Your child is older or B. Your childless.

Ethan's birthday is in 2 weeks and we have decided to celebrate his second birthday Mickey Mouse style. I'm making most of the decor on my own but was stumped when it came to party favors. Then I came across this and knew I had to do it.  

Lucky for me I had tons of left over crayons thanks to my last crayon project . So the only thing I really needed was the molds and the bags. The molds you can find on Amazon and get for less then $6 with shipping. The bags I found on sale at Michaels.


 Next step was taking 12 packs of half used crayons and separating them by color and then unwrap them ( the most tedious part ever!) I realized if you took a serrated knife and slit the wrapper most of the time it could come right off. Every once in a while you would find one that was stubborn.

 Break up in a million pieces and fill the tray, ensuring you have a little overflow in each tray. It took about 6 crayons per mouse head.  Now learn from my mistake and take some aluminum foil and place in the center ( between the 4 heads, and under each corner because when you put it in the oven and it starts to melt the weight of the liquid crayon can make the silicone tray dip, thus spilling crayon all over your cookie sheet. ( probably also a good idea to line your cookie sheet with foil just in case)


 Place your crayons in the oven set on 350 for 15 minutes.

Once they are melted set your cookie sheet to the side for about 15 minutes until it all starts to solidify. **Trust me you don't want to move the trays before hand, you'll just spill stuff** Once your mouse heads are partially solid again you can stick them in the freezer to hurry the process along.  Wait 20 minutes and remove the heads from the tray.

Now when your removing the heads start by gently pulling the silicone outward away from the heads and then push up on the nose. You want to remove the nose/mouth first and the ears last otherwise the ears will break off and you have to remelt it.



 Feel free to mix and match colors to create really unique looking crayons too!


Depending on the bag you use you can fit 3 heads per bag. 

Tada! Easy and  unique party favors.


3 comments:

  1. Very very cute!! We did a Mickey themed birthday for my son's 1st, it was so cute. I can't wait to see pics of your party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea!! We're doing a Mickey mouse theme this year too- only is party is actually just a get together of his parents, grandparents, and aunts & uncles. 10 people- no where near what he had last year. We should have co-host a blog birthday party for our boys since they are only about 5 days apart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to do this for my son's Lego birthday but I didn't get around to ordering the molds in time :( Maybe I'll find them in stores this week...

    ReplyDelete

So tell me what you really think.......

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...