Sunday, January 5, 2014

Why I don't feel bad about being a working mom.

Some people work to live, others live to work. I do neither. I've been a nurse for almost 6 years and have had many unforgettable experiences. I work with an amazing team of nurses, doctors, therapist, social workers etc and truly appreciate each and every one of them for what they bring to the table. For putting there own lives on hold on a daily basis to help make an impact in someone elses. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'll be honest. Going to work is a nice break from the daily stressors of parenting.  Why? because its easier then parenting. Parenting is this unpredictable whirlwind of tears, laughs and excitement

This doesn't mean I don't count down to 7pm most nights so I can rush to the sitters and pick up Ethan. He is my world and the sun rises and falls around my family. They pick me up when I'm down, make me laugh when I'm mad and are my never changing rock. Tim and the kids are my heart, but they aren't my entire life.  

Days like today where I'm off for an extended period of time ( thanks to my cancelled vacation) I get stir crazy at home, I miss the hussle and bussle of my job. The smiles on the kids faces, the laughs I share with my coworkers. I love my job, to the point I don't see myself ever wanting to quit.   I could win the lottery tonight and would still go to work next week. Not because I don't want to be there for my family but if I did nothing but stayed with them at home then I would lose a part of myself.

I don't work just for myself. I work because its giving back to the community, because it shows the kids what hard work looks like, and because it makes me a good role model not just for my patients but for my family.  I don't like taking things for granted. If Tim was the only one working despite being extremely strapped for cash I wouldn't feel right about the splurges I take for myself. The weekly trips to my favorite restaurant, the numerous trips shopping, and the extra spending money I have because I do work so hard.

Not being there with my family 24-7 makes the time I am with them so much more special and helps remind me not to take it for granted. I see on a daily basis how one moment can change a persons life and I should try to embrace every moment of my life. It also makes my family not take me for granted. "Moms not here, looks like we have to figure out dinner on our own".  Plus its nice to be recognized. I am not going to lie, its nice when I hear someone say " great job today Shannon" or " You are working hard". Yes yes I am and its nice to know that in at least some small part of my life my hard work doesn't go unrecognized. 

The best thing I can do for my family is show them that while they are a huge part of who I am, my life doesn't revolve around them. It gives them and myself the independence we all need to grow into good ( or better) people.  Its not about picking one or another. Its about finding a balance between then two to feel centered and I don't think I'd have it any other way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

So tell me what you really think.......

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...